I am a growth-seeker and ed-venturous. Education is who I am, and teaching and learning is what I do! I have taught at just about every level a person could, and to all walks of life. Before teaching, I found myself as a first-generation college student at The College of Saint Rose. I worked there as a peer tutor while studying as an undergraduate, to pay for college expenses. I taught horseback riding lessons on the weekends to kids who wanted to get outdoors and to girls who found freedom on horseback. I didn’t consider becoming a teacher at that time, but I believed that education was and always has been the great equalizer. This was ingrained in me.
Education is who I am, and teaching and learning is what I do!
I needed to work while going to graduate school, so I gladly substitute taught at my alma mater, Maple Hill, and absolutely fell in love with the classroom. I decided to leave law school to pursue teaching full time and began my teaching career at Voorheesville High School in upstate New York. There I taught the greatest 11th and 12th graders social studies, including participation in government and economics. I then took a position teaching part-time, as an adjunct professor at Columbia-Greene Community College, and gladly never left. I feel at home in a diverse classroom. It was in 2010 when I took the position of full-time instructor, earned a promotion to Assistant Professor, and today, I spend my days (and sometimes evenings) with amazing colleagues and remarkable students, at C-GCC where I passionately hold the rank of Associate Professor of History.
I have also proudly taught and developed post-graduate courses and programs for the State University of New York Center for Professional Development, including assessment leadership and institutional effectiveness. I am an instructor of College Success courses at Excelsior College. To never lose sight of where I began, I enjoy privately tutoring students when the time allows.
Select Teaching Experience
Associate Professor of History 2010-Present
Additional Teaching Interests/Experience: Political Science/ Psychology/Philosophy /Sociology/College Experience
Columbia-Greene Community College, Hudson, New York
- Recipient of the President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2015
- Recipient of SUNY Online Teaching Ambassador, 2017
- Awarded Tenure, 2012
- Faculty Council Chair voted by faculty and adjunct faculty for three consecutive years until term limit.
- Invited to deliver lecture and presentation on history and political science topics to three community and college groups including the Hudson Area Public Library, the Columbia-Greene Community Development Program, Gemini Concert Lecture Series and the Women’s Fortnightly Club Hudson chapter.
- Co-Developer of ConnecTs, an online teaching and learning center for faculty.
- Mentored and taught COARC college geography and historiography and well as civic engagement and animal advocacy programming to diverse and non-traditional college students.
- Facilitated noted guest speakers and hosted public events such as recognition of local historians from Columbia-and Greene Counties and surrounding communities.
Institutional Effectiveness Course Developer and Instructor 2015-Present
SUNY Center for Professional Development, OPEN SUNY
Instructor of College Success 2016-Present
Excelsior College, Albany, New York
Professional Tutor 2016-Present
Varsity Tutors, Albany, New York
Social Studies Teacher- Grades 11 and 12 2008-2009
Voorheesville, New York